Tuesday, October 26, 2010

..STEP 1~~ PIE CRUST RECIPE..

..THE MAKING OF TOUTIERE..
As I told on the previous post..I'm making Spanish Tortilla and Toutiere..what is Toutiere? Toutiere is French Meat Pie..I really want to learn French cooks..what I did is start goggling and searching for the recipe..there are 3 steps of making Toutiere..First is making the Pie crust...then making the mashed potatoes..and final step is making the filling..so for this post I will share how to make pie crust..

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all purposes flour, plus extra for rolling
1 cup unsalted butter, very cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
6 to 8 tbsp ice water ( I just used water inside my freezer but it is better to use ice water)

Method
Cut the sticks of butter into 1/2 inch cubes and place in the free for 15 minutes to an hour ( the longer the better) so that they become throughly chilled..
combine flour, salt and sugar in food processor;pulse to mix (I didn't used food processor, I just knead it all with my hand inside bowl)..Add butter and pulse 6 to 8 times, until mixture resembles coarse meal, with pea size pieces of butter.
remove dough from machine( if you are using the food processor) and place in a mound on a clean surface. Gently shape into 2 discs..Knead the dough just enough to form the discs, do not over knead..you should be able to see little bits of butter in the dough..these small chunks of butter are what will allow the resulting crust to be flaky..sprinkle a little flour around the disc..wrap dis in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, and up to 2 day..
the next step will be posted on the next post..

BON APPETIT!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails